Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Wednesday Weigh in

      So hey everyone, it seems like it has been a while since my last post, and that's my fault.  Things have been so crazy this past week I just wasn't able to sit down and compose a post.  I have been able to get back to running this week which felt great, but I am still taking it slow because I still don't feel like my old self.  Sunday I just had to see where I was at so I did a 3 mile run that I pushed my pace to 8:59 per mile avg.  While that isn't close to my current 5K pace and I did have some minor knee discomfort I was able to complete it which felt good.  I rested Monday and did a short 2 mile out and back on the bike trail at around a 10:30 pace Tuesday morning.  I didn't want to push it because I was going to try a 6 mile run on Wednesday, which would have been my first "long run" in probably 3 weeks. 
      
     Today's run went as well as I could expect considering I was only looking to get through the miles and not allow pace to matter.  It had been an overcast morning light wind and cool, perfect for me, but just as I headed out the door the sun came out and warmed things up.  I kept this run totally on the road this time, choosing to bypass the paved bike trail all together.  The reason for that is the trail has a good angle to it which can aggravate an IT band.  Even though I was not worried about my pace I was able to keep it pretty steady around 10:10 avg.  One thing I read about IT band issues is that running down hill can aggravate it more so on the first overpass I walked down but on the second I wanted to test it and ran it, but I did slow the pace to a lighter jog.  My knee still just doesn't feel quite the way it use to and a light tightness and/or pain would come and go during the entire run, and the worst came in the last few hundred yards.  I finished and was happy but I am still a little worried and maybe I am just concentrating to much on it and should just relax while I am running.  I am going to take tomorrow off and do another 2 mile run Friday, that will give me a total of 10 miles for the week.

    
     Getting in a few miles have helped me this week when it comes to the bane of weight loss existence also know as the scale.  Now I wouldn't say I was perfect with my diet, I defiantly took a few detours this week with all the greasy food vendors at Ohio Bike Week and celebrating my 10 year wedding anniversary, but I ended on a good note.    

6/11/14 official weigh in
189.5 lbs
Change: -1.5 lbs
Total loss from heaviest: 127.5 lbs
Current BMI: 29.6 (overweight)
Change: -.3




2 comments:

  1. Glad you are back to running and hopefully the knee will remain a minor irritation at most. When I first started running I had what I think now was IT band issues. My left knee would hurt when running downhill. I noticed the issue when running downhill and adjusted my runs accordingly, taking downhills VERY easily (even slower than flat or uphill probably). Eventually things seemed to heal and I haven't had knee issues since.

    I am very aware on downhills now though and make sure I don't pound it like I used to (while still taking advantage of them speed-wise). I've also changed my running style to have a higher cadence and land more centered (I think I used to land a lot more in front of my body and jarred my knees).

    Anyways, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dean, you're getting so skinny!! I love reading about your progress. At least one of us is having some ;)

    ReplyDelete