Monday, March 2, 2015

GCM Owens Corning Half Marathon Training Week 3


Sunday 2/22
     Had to do Saturday's workout today because there was just no time on Saturday to get it done.  I know this sounds like a recurring theme for me, but hopefully it shows that you have to be flexible with your schedule sometimes.  To me as long as I get in the majority of my workouts each week I am happy. Having said that, Saturday's tempo run was on the menu and to be honest I had no issues what so ever.  My legs are starting to get use to the new running stride I have been working on and I am feeling less and less fatigued after each run.

Monday 2/23
     4:30am came way to early today, but that is what I get staying up watching the Oscars and messing around on the computer.  I went to the gym to put in 4 miles at 8:45 per mile, what I hope to be my race pace for the GCM Owens Corning Half Marathon.  I also had cross training to get done, but I barely had enough time to get my 4 miles in so I had to skip it.

Tuesday 2/24
     I was just a wreck when I woke up and was way to damn tired to workout this morning so the cross training got axed.  After I got off work and got home, the last thing I wanted to do was any exercise so just like the cross training, yoga got skipped as well. I really can't figure out why I have been so tired lately.  I know I was up late for the Oscars, but dammit if I can't seem to get my body to have some energy.

Wednesday 2/25
7 mile long run on the treadmill.  Had my last physical therapy appointment with Alisha.  She and I went over some new strengthening exercises that will help with my hamstrings.  My hamstrings have been feeling fatigued and a little sore as of late, so she felt an added strength routine would help that.  After we were all finished, I hung around and did my seven mile long run on the treadmill.  Despite me having to run it on the treadmill, it was nice to do it there so she could check in and observe me. This was especially nice because if I have an issue it is normally at the end of a longer run and having her there to correct any issue she might see before they became a problem.  Well, no issues what so ever and she didn't see any problems with my stride either, so I must be on the right track.

Thursday 2/26
     Last week I skipped this run thinking it wasn't important and Alisha made sure I would never think that again, so I headed to the gym for a 20 minute recovery run that I did on the track.  Nice easy super slow run, which really did feel good to kind of stretch the legs out.  I also had yoga to do, so I left that for the evening.  Well that didn't happen because I was almost an hour late getting home and I had some graphic design work to finish for a friend that needed to be done tonight.  I know sometimes life gets in the way, but man do I need to figure this shit out so I don't keep skipping some of this stuff.

Friday 2/27
     Had a big day today with a lot to squeeze in and I wanted to make sure I got it all done.  For my run I had 6 reps of hill intervals of one minute at 5% incline and one minute at 0% incline followed by a round of speed work.  The speed work intervals were 6 reps of one minute at 7:00 minute pace followed by one minute of a 9:00 minute pace.  Alisha had warned me that out of any of the workouts I do, this one could the one that would aggravate my injury.  Well, that wasn't the case, at least this time.  I did this workout one the treadmill, so I don't know if that had something to do with it or not, but I had no issues with the knee.  It was really annoying having to constantly change settings on the treadmill though.
     After work I had 5 of the 8 new strength exercises to do and some foam rolling.  I could definitely tell I had weak hamstrings after this work out, wow!  I know Saturday is usually a workout day, but I think I will have to swap Saturday and Sunday again, so I think my hammies will appreciate the break. 

Saturday 2/28
     My hamstrings are definitely feeling it today.  Thank God I am taking today off from any workouts.  I have been constantly trying to stretch them out all day.  We will just see how things go tomorrow for my run.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job getting your runs in despite your hectic schedule!

    ReplyDelete