Friday, June 13, 2014

Marathon Training = Overview & Why


     On October 19th 2014 I plan to toe the line at the Nationwide Children's Hospital Columbus Marathon.  The twenty six mile three hundred eighty five yards just seems to be the natural progression in my running journey.  A little over a year ago I ran my first 5K, two or three months later I tackled my first 10K, in October a half marathon and a couple more halves after that, so it seems only natural to me that a Marathon would be next on my list.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous and a little bit scared, there is just so much more to consider when running a marathon.  Of course there is the running part, but you have to figure out your training plan, and everyone has their own opinions on that, your nutrition while training and post race, your fueling strategy during the race, what you will wear to minimize any possible discomfort and, oh yeah the mental game. 


     We all know there is a lot of crap on the internet and it is easy to get into information overload, but over the past year I have found that reading other peoples marathon experiences have really helped me understand what I am truly in for.  That is where the idea for this page comes in.  I feel like this is such a big event in my life that keeping a written journal of all the highs and lows of this journey was the best way to commemorate it.  I also felt that keeping this detailed journal will serve as a way to look back and make any adjustments for future marathons I may attempt and allow any future marathoners out there a look into what my 16-18 weeks of training looks like. 

     Moving forward I will be posting information about the race itself, how I created my training plan, my gear that I use during training and the race, my ever changing nutrition plan, a weekly recap of the weeks training and of course a race recap to wrap it all up.

     I look forward to hearing from you as my training progresses and I appreciate you following along with me.  This should make for one long hot summer, but just I know the moment I cross the finish line and receive that medal it will be a feeling of accomplishment unlike any other in my life! except for when I met and married my wife :) Love you honey!


* For quick access to my entire Marathon training journal click the "Marathon Journal" tab just below the page header

No comments:

Post a Comment