Sunday, April 3, 2016

And Then There Were Three

     Oh you think this post is about my running, well it was until today, now the title of this post can be considered a double entendre.  As you might have read a few posts ago about Team Elite, I am running the MercyHealth Glass City Marathon on a relay team.  As of now I am running the final leg of the relay which tops out at 5.3 miles, so my therapist has worked up a training plan to get me prepped and ready.  My plan is slowly ramping up my mileage and Wednesday I went for a three mile run for the first time in months.  Miles one and two were fine, however mile three was a little tougher.  By the time I finished my legs were tired and the muscles around my hip were a little sore.

     Today, was the second try at three miles and it when quite a bit better.  I won't lie and say that my legs weren't tired but overall I wasn't as tired and I wasn't sore at all following this try.  

     I woke up this morning ready to go out till I looked at the temperature sitting right at 30 degrees and thought "come on man".  I decided to put off the running till around 6:30 when the temp would be at its peak of 50 degrees, this turned out to be a good decision.  The sun stayed out and warmed things up enough to take today's run from almost bearable to down right enjoyable.  Now, I am supposed to keep my pace down to around ten minute miles, but I felt good enough that my pace naturally settled in at 9:45 per mile.

     Ok so now why the double entendre, well we're soon to be proud parents of a new baby boy.  Oh did you think a baby, baby?  Nope, were are more about the fur baby type then our species.  Currently we have a 13 year old, Widdle, and an almost two year old, Jedi, chihuahua/dachshund mix.  Back about a month before my first marathon we had to put down our 11 year old full blood chihuahua due to health issues and recently my life co-pilot Harley, my domestic short haired cat who had been with me for a long time.  We have talked several times about bringing in another pet and decided that getting a third dog vs a cat or any other animal would be best, but we didn't get serious about it till very recently.  Today Mandy came across a litter of mini dachshunds that were only about a half hour away from us that were born just two weeks ago.  They still had one male available, so we went for a visit.  We got to see the whole litter and could see why they were snatched up so quick.  They were all so cute seeing them cuddling together.


Introducing our new baby boy Jax.  He will be able to come home with us on May 14th.


 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new fur baby! Looks like another adorable addition. :)

    ReplyDelete