Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Wednesday weigh in & a change in my approach

      Got on the scale this morning before work not really sure what I was going to see.  My weight fluctuated so much this week, and I am not really sure why.  I have my thoughts and they mostly stem around my routine/eating habits being off.  First since this weekly post is predicated around what I call my official weight is for the week, let me get that out of the way.

9/10/14 official weigh in
183 lbs
Change: +1 lbs
Total loss from heaviest: 134 lbs
Current BMI: 28.6 (overweight)
Change: +.1

     It is amazing how life can just get in the way of something so simple as running.  I am not trying to minimize marathon training because it is hard and I am putting in a lot of miles, but at the end of the day it is just running and I should be able to fit it in.  I feel like I have done a good job listening to my body and not being so rigid to my schedule that if I miss a run the world is not going to come to an end.  I knew when I made this schedule inevitably things were going to get shifted around.  I just didn’t think it would be this much.  Of course some of it is my own fault, who thinks that bringing home a new 6 week old puppy during marathon training is a good idea, well apparently this guy. 
   
     Before I go any further, let me introduce you all to Jedi.  He is what you would call a cha-weenie, part Chihuahua and part dachshund.  Mandy was introduced to him and immediately fell in love.  Now we already have two other Chihuahuas and a large cat and we needed another animal like a hole in the head.  I have to say the second I saw him I fell in love two.  Needless to say the timing wasn’t right, but we just couldn’t say no, so he is now part of the family and we love him.


     As far as training goes I am hoping to really be back on track in another week.  I have made a few more modifications to my plan and I will be listening to my body if any further changes are needed.  I think once I get past my last 20 miler in a week or so and hit my taper things will settle down for me. 

     After seeing myself stall in my weight loss lately and seeing the scale go up and down over and over, I have come to the realization that I am not going to worry about it anymore; for now.  Don’t get me wrong, I am not done or giving up by any means.  It is just that I want to let go of some stress and I think worrying about it isn’t doing me any good.  It is stressful to get on the scale each week and be so happy at a loss of any kind just to have it ruined by a gain the following week.  Now I am not going to change anything.  I am still going to weigh in each week and post it; I am just not going to care about it.  I truly believe My biggest issue with what is going on is the marathon training.  I know I have said this before, a lot of what I have read and heard from people is they gain weight while training for the marathon.  I have managed to pretty much maintain my weight so I have to be happy about that. 

     The reason for all this kind of came about after I logged my weigh in on my phone.  I was flipping through my log entries and since the end of July my entries looked like this: 182.5, 184, 181.5, 180, 182, and now 183.  This is why I decided to change my approach. 

     So here is the plan.  I will continue to follow my current nutrition plan and do my absolute best not to cheat or go above my 2000 calorie limit except for my long run day.  I will continue to weigh in so I can monitor and make sure I don't completely fall off the rails.  Once the Marathon is over, I will take at least a week off from running to recover and spend some time with Mandy.  Then I am going to take an official weigh in and set my sights on achieving my weight goal of 173 pounds. 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great plan. Most people I know gain weight during marathon training, so you're doing awesome! I think it's hard to focus on weight loss AND a major running goal at the same time. I have no doubt you'll reach your goal weight after the marathon!

    ReplyDelete