Friday, March 4, 2016

Post Surgery Update #7

     Ok so I am not living up to my end of the bargain and posting like I really should be, but to be brutally honest I just haven't felt like it much lately.  I feel like anything I write will be negative anyway, so why fucking bother.  Realistically it was fun to write when the majority of my post were about positive things that were happening to me and lately it just doesn't seem to be a lot of "fun" things to write about.  However I am going to give it a try.

     So if I am correct it has been almost a month since my last update on my rehab, and the big story is I am jumping.  Alisha had me basically go into a squat position and jump straight up, then landing on both feet evenly using my knees to cushion the landing.  I didn't have any pain on the landing, which is where I thought I would have a problem, no my problem was on the take off.  I was getting pain in my upper thigh muscle as I would push up with me feet at the end of the take off.  This is the same area that has been causing me the most issue and pain during this recovery.

     The following week I continued the vertical jumps starting with 10 and adding 2 each day till my next appointment.  Now this is the part when I tell you I was super excited for PT because I could have sworn that she said once I am jumping, the next step is running, but that wasn't the case.  We'll chalk this one up to my selective hearing my wife is always talking about, because it was dual leg jump, single leg jumps and then attempt running.  At therapy we worked on a few more things and did some single leg work as well, but I got no indication that a running attempt is in my future yet.  At this appointment Alisha informed me of her vacation so my next PT appointment will be in two whole weeks, which is now only a week away.  

     Last thing before I go, and I don't want to make a big deal about it, and keep it on the down low because I don't want my Physical Therapist to hear, but I RAN!!!!  We finally got some nice weather here so Mandy and I took the boys for a walk.  As we made the turn for home, Jedi started pulling like he really wanted to run.  It got to the point that he was almost standing up on his hind legs he was pulling so hard.  Now I know he is just a small chiweenie put the little guy has some pull to him when he wants to.  We got to the last tenth of a mile home, if not less and I said the hell with it and took off.  It was like in the movies when two people in love are running toward each other and everything is in slow motion, yeah call me crazy but it kind of felt like that.  I had no excessive pain of any kind following that and I even went for a two mile walk by myself after that without any noticeable difference.  The good news is I now know it is possible, the bad news is all it did was kick start my running addiction into high gear! 

P.S. My therapist reads my blog so she probably will have seen this before my next appointment!

1 comment:

  1. AWw man - your recovery seems to be going a lot slower then mine. I didn't have any requirements to jump before running. I will say that thigh muscle of the hip I had surgery on was weak. Way up high near the incision. I remember be surprised at how much muscle strength I lost after being on crutches for only 2 weeks. I noticed it a lot when riding my horse. It was really surprising to me. Sometimes I still wonder if that leg isn't quite as strong. But that's much better than the hip pain I was having. Best of luck on your continued recovery!

    ReplyDelete