Sunday, March 2, 2014

Ragnar Relay So-Cal Preview


12 people, 2 vans, 2 days, 1 night and 200 miles

This is what the Ragnar Relay series is all about.  Friends and strangers alike join together to Run, Drive, (maybe) Sleep and Repeat.  Since I have not yet run one and really don't have any idea of what to expect I hopped on to Ragnar's website for a little more info and here is what they had to say about their unique race experience.
      Ragnar is the overnight running relay race that makes testing your limits a team sport.  You and 11 of your craziest friends (or 5 of your crazier friends for an ultra team) pile into two vans and tag team running 200(ish) miles, day and night, relay-style. Only one runner hits the road at a time. Each participant runs three times, with each leg ranging between 3-13 miles and varying in difficulty. So, from the elite runner down to the novice jogger, it's the perfect race for anyone.
     While one person is running, the rest of your teammates are on support duty in your race vehicles. Teams require 2 vehicles (Runners 1-6 in van 1 and 7 -12 in van 2) Van 1's runners will cover the first six legs. As each runner begins, the crew in the vehicle can drive ahead, cheer their runner on and meet them at the exchange point to pick them up and drop off the next runner. After the first 6 legs, van 2 picks up the slack and starts putting in the miles.
Once your van’s runners finish the six legs, you drive ahead to the major exchange point to wait for your other van to finish their six legs, hunker down and try to get some rest. If you aren’t in the mood to sleep or can’t seem to move your body into sleep mode, try harder because you get to do it two more times!
     That is how Ragnar works, this is how I came to be part of my team.  As I have been on this running and weight loss journey, I had been surfing around the net and I eventually came across a wonderful blog Runs for Cookies by my team co-captain Katie Foster.  Her weight loss story was very inspiring and gave me and many others hope that we could overcome this battle.  She started a weekly post called Motivational Mondays, where she asked her readers to write in and tell all about their accomplishments for the week.  Over the last year I would occasionally send in when I would hit a milestone.  One day out of the blue, Katie emailed me that she was putting together a Ragnar team with her co-captain John from her Fat to Finish line Ragnar team.  They were looking for people who were running to lose or maintain their weight.  I was totally floored that she asked me and after a quick discussion with the wife, I jumped at the opportunity.  Other than Katie and John who new each other, the whole team is made up of complete strangers that have spent the last 8 months getting to know each other on Facebook.  This led to our team name Strangers to Sole Mates and me making 11 new and unique friends for life.  If our contact on Facebook is any indication this is going to be one exciting trip!  Our Race, Ragnar SoCal, kicks off in Huntington Beach and travels 192.9 miles south to sunny San Diego.
     I am now known as Runner #7 for our team, which means I am the first runner in van #2.  My first leg is 8.4 miles, second leg is 5.9 miles and the third leg is 7.1 miles totaling 21.4 miles.  Below is the maps showing my three legs.


April can't get here fast enough, because I am very excited to meet all my new friends, to get away from all this freakin' snow and to visit sunny California!

1 comment: