Monday, November 2, 2015

Physical Therapy is Complete

     It seems like a lifetime ago that I was running consistently and having something to say about it.  I do apologize for my posts being few and far between lately, but there just hasn't been much to say that hasn't already been said on my current situation.  However, I did want to give a quick update since I finished my 6 weeks of physical therapy and I thought this would be a good time to catch you all up to date.  

     As far as therapy goes, it was successful in the job of increasing my flexibility and strengthening my legs, hips and core, but to answer the sixty four million dollar question, I still have pain.  To be completely honest I am having pain right now as I type this.  The intensity of the pain and aching varies depending on my day, but what I have noticed is no one thing is the trigger.  If I stand or sit for most of the day is flares up or it can flare up no matter what the combination is for the day.

     If I remember correctly the last time I was running regularly was early July, and the pain has continued during this rest period. Needless to say that if I was never to run a step or do any other "sports" related type of exercise, as the insurance company calls it,  this is affecting the quality of my everyday life.  My therapist says that there is a chance that I could continue to have pain even after I have the surgery done, but to be honest I would rather get the surgery and still have pain than never get the surgery and always wonder if it would have fixed it.  Plus, don't forget the extra bone protrusion that was rubbing on the cartilage and caused the tear to begin with.  If I don't get that taken care of I am sure to have more problems in the future.

     Anyway, I have a followup appointment with my surgeon on Friday to discuss where things go from here.  I hope to have some news to share from that visit, but I am thinking it will go like this, Lets set up a new surgery time and submit it to the insurance company and see if they will now approve it.  Well, all I can do is cross my finger and hope at this point! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering how you are doing. My pain was exactly the same - it wasn't necessarily triggered by the same thing every day. Though static standing would *always* trigger it. But likewise nothing would give it relief consistently other than sleep.

    Did the surgeon offer any estimate of % of recovery in terms of pain? Mine did based on three things: my age, presence of arthritis and length of time I'd had the injury. I don't remember the exact % of increase he estimated. I think it was like 75-85% of improvement. I've exceeded that. I don't often have pain and it's NOTHING like it was prior to surgery. Usually it's just a pinching. If I have pain I can make it go away more easily by adjusting my position as well. So I'm much improved since before surgery.

    I hope you get approved. I don't understand the hoops you have to jump through to get this approved. Seems rather lame to me. Good luck! My fingers are crossed for ya.

    ReplyDelete